Temporary Assistance is a temporary financial help for needy men, women and children. If you are unable to work, can’t find a job, or your paycheck does not meet your everyday expenses, TA may be able to help you.
An orientation is provided to all adult applicants, to provide an overview of regulatory requirements and activities. For example, applicants and/or recipients of Temporary Assistance who are not exempt must participate in work activities to receive assistance. This is followed by a one-on-one interview so program eligibility can be determined. Temporary assistance consists of cash assistance programs that provide money for basic living expenses. Eligibility for these government assistance programs is based on local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- FAMILY ASSISTANCE – for households with children
- SAFETY NET ASSISTANCE – for single people or couples without children (there is a 45 day wait for assistance in this program)
- EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE – for households that are facing emergencies through no fault of their own, due to a sudden and unexpected event or loss of income
- HEAP – HOME ENERGY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM – a onetime benefit program designed to help low income households pay for their energy costs. This program generally runs from November to March
How Do I Apply for Temporary Assistance?
- Our normal hours of operation are 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday
- For further information please call 315-946-7603
- To determine if you may be eligible for assistance, please go to the New York State Web site at https://mybenefits.ny.gov There, you will find a great deal of information on programming, eligibility and printable applications in several languages.